Last Updated on December 9, 2021 by woodcutter
Your lawn plays a significant role in increasing the curb appeal of your property. This means you have to pay attention to it for you to receive the ever-green and all-attractive look. Taking care of your lawn is an investment that guarantees returns. One of the ways to effectively achieve this is through applying fertilizer. A fertilizer ensures your lawn remains healthy and green. One of the challenges when taking care of your lawn is the application of the fertilizer. For significant results, when applying fertilizer on your lawn, you have to ensure that it is evenly spread. This is where the fertilizer spreaders come in handy.
The fertilizer spreader is gaining popularity by the day due to its significant benefits for lawn care. It ensures you can spread your fertilizer in a large area with minimal time. It also gives you better control over the amount of fertilizer to be applied on the lawn. With the right and appropriate fertilizer spreader, you can be guaranteed a positive outcome. Choosing the best fertilizer spreaders for the lawn may not be a walk in the park, but with the following guidelines, you can be sure to select the right one.
What Are The Different Types of Spreaders?
It is essential to understand the different types of spreader before making a purchase. Fertilizer spreaders come in three categories. They include: handheld spreaders, drop spreaders and broadcast spreaders.
- Handheld Spreaders (Great for small lawns)
These are simple fertilizer spreaders that can be used with anyone. They are ideal for small lawns under 5,000 square feet. You only need to lift the spreader with one hand and grind with the other. A handheld spreader has a hopper to hold the fertilizer or the seeds. It is lightweight and affordable and works superbly for small lawns.
- Broadcast Spreaders (Great for medium to large lawns)
The most popular fertilizer spreaders are the walk-behind broadcast spreaders. It is also known as the broadcaster or the centrifugal fertilizer spreader. They can scatter seeds or fertilizer over 5,000 square feet, ideal for medium or large lawns. It has a spread radius of about 3-4 feet. Like the name, it can “broadcast” the fertilizer or seeds to areas you may not need. It is because it limits your control because of the rotary mechanism, and therefore the fertilizer may end up in places you do not want, resulting in wastage.
- Drop Spreader (Great for precise coverage)
An advantage with the drop spreaders is that they offer more control compared to broadcast spreaders. It gives you control over where the seeds or fertilizers fall, making it more useful with minimal wastage. For areas that require more accurate and precise coverage, the drop spreader is the perfect choice for such layouts.
What is the best lawn fertilizer spreader?
Reviews & Buying Guide
With the high competition in different industries, customers usually enjoy a wide range of products to select from. Simultaneously, the influx of these products makes it difficult for the customer to settle for the right choice. The following review illustrates everything you need to know about the top fertilizer spreaders guaranteed to offer quality services:
- Fingertip levers control direction and volume
- Large opening allows easy filling and cleaning
- 20 lbs Capacity hopper with cap protects operator from chemicals and Dust
- Manufacturer: SOLO
- So easy to use and control
- Very well designed
- Never jams
- Great load capacity
- Easy to turn
- May feel heavy to some people
- Lever to open material flow could be well redesigned
This hand held fertilizer spreader is very efficient for home owners who are looking for the best portable hand held spreader. It is light-weight and easy to operate.
- Dimensions (inches) – 11 x 11 x 20
- Weight – 6.75lbs
- Spread Width – Up to 12 feet
- One Year Warranty
Let’s dive in
Just from the name of the spreader, this portable spreader gets mounted on one’s chest. It comes with a shoulder strap that ensures comfort. It has a carrying capacity of up to 20lbs, which can spread fertilizer to a width of up to 12 feet. However, the spread’s range is determined by how hard you turn the crank on the spreader. When it is empty, it weights up to 6.75lbs, and it has a warranty of up to 1 year.
The best part of using this handheld spreader is that you have the perfect combination of control, convenience and coverage, and these factors make it the best portable spreader that you can get. When you are spreading fertilizer, the most important thing is the ability to spread the fertilizer evenly, and these are done by; adjusting the flow rate and direction of flow.
You need to be able to aim to the left, right, and also the center. When you have a lawn with tight areas, trees and ornaments or any other barriers, this is the perfect spreader for you since you can spread every inch of the grounds regardless of how tight squeezed are the spaces.
- Perfect design – there spreader has a screw-on gap that helps to stop fertilizer from spilling. It also fits tightly on your chest with it moving and shifting around. It has Metallic gears that get easily lubricated for ease of operation.
- Anti-Jam – most spreaders tend to have a jamming issue with the flow mechanism or the hopper but not this one.
- Lightweight -The load capacity of 20lbs is perfect for a lawn in that you can cover more ground before having to fill it again hence reducing the number of trips back to the shed.
- Operation – a suitable spreader needs to be easy to operate in that after turning the crank, you do not feel like you were in the gym after a while. The crank of this spreader turns with a lot of easy and can get used by people of all ages, even those with arthritis.
- Pricing- this portable spreader may be a little bit more expensive than others in the market, but it is worth the price due to its efficiency and built to last.
This spreader is the best budget fertilizer spreader who needs to fertilize the lawn in that it has all the necessary aspects: design, capacity, efficiency and ease of use. This makes it the perfect handheld spreader for home use.
- 45-0614 has now replaced 45-0462
- HOPPER CAPACITY: 130 lbs.; 1/2 acre (25,000 sq. ft.)
- SPREAD WIDTH: 10- 12 ft. spread
- WHEELS: 13" x 4" pneumatic tires
- OPERATION: Easy to use direct rod control
- Large capacity
- Large spread width
- Great tires make it easy to push
- Very easy to use
- Very comfortable
- Slight issues with feeder door
If you a looking for a larger hopper that you can use for a wider range on your lawn, the Agri-Fab 45-0462 Push Broadcast Spreader is the ideal choice. It has a larger capacity, making the best for wide spread lawns.
- Capacity – 130lb
- Spreader Width – 10 foot to 12 foot
- Dimensions (inches) – 48 x 27.1 x 33.6
- Weight – 37 lbs
- Warranty-Three Year Warranty
Now let’s talk more about it.
This spreader has an immense carrying capacity of 130lbs with the capability to spread to a width of 10 feet or 12 feet; this depends on the settings. It has pneumatic tires that are 10inch in size. The spreader weighs 37lbs when empty and comes with a three-year warranty.
Bottom line is
When it comes to a push broadcast spreader, this is a real monster with its 130lbs load capacity and its ability to cover up to 12 feet wide. These factors are what make a broadcast fertilizer a perfect addition to your lawn services. Another best thing about the professional broadcast spreader is that it is very robust, in that it has been constructed with a rustproof poly and coated with metal powder, and of excellent quality. This best overall fertilizer spreader able to last for many generations to come.
On top of that:
- Strong tires- the heavy-duty pneumatic tires are of top quality and stable. It helps in increasing the traction on wet lawns, and they are effortless to push.
- Setting spreading width- it has a handle mounted controller that is perfectly positioned and very simple to use while setting the spreading width.
- Even spread- it has a clip that rotates your material, hence stops them from clamping together when it is in the hopper. That also makes the spread wider with a lovely dispersal pattern
- Machinery- it has a sealed bevel gearbox and a taper that is both of very high quality.
- Comfort – the broadcast has a long balanced handle with a smooth feel, with all the control easily accessible and adjustable.
- Budget – this broadcast is not at all expensive, and you will not have to ask for loans to pay for it.
- Perfect handheld spreader for small yards
- Great for year-round use to weed, seed, fertilize, and apply ice melt
- Engineered for smooth, even coverage
- Adjustable arm support helps provide maximum comfort
- Holds up to 1,500 sq ft of Scotts lawn products
- Perfect price
- Compact and Light
- Good spread width
- Easy to use
- Seed can get stuck around gearbox
If you have a small lawn and want the perfect little hand-held spreader for a low budget, the Scotts Whirl Hand-Held Spreader is the perfect choice. It works effectively on small lawns and ensure minimal wastage of fertilizer.
- Coverage – it can hold up to 1,500sq.ft of material.
- Dimensions (inches) – 13.1 x 8.7 x 8.5
- Weight – 1.15lbs
- Warranty – comes with a Scotts guarantee.
Let’s take a look into it
The Scotts Whirl Hand-Held Spreader is an update of a prior version from the same company. Its predecessor was already an excellent hand-held fertilizer spreader. There are not many hand-held spreaders that can give you value for your money like the Scotts Whirl Hand-Held Spreader.
It comes with Scott’s No Quibble Guarantee, which implies that after using the product and you are dissatisfied, you can request a refund or a product replacement. It can also hold up to 1500 square feet of fertilizer, and it measures 13.1 x 8.7 x 8.5 inches. When operating it, you do not need to study anything; all you need to do is to fill the bin, then set the dispersal rate from 1 to 5 then, you crank it.
- Simplicity – the design of the spreader incorporates a creative arm and wrist support. This helps in balancing the weight of the spreader when you are using it hence reducing any discomfort.
- Dispersal – it has a chunky and oversized dispersal setting that makes it very easy to turn.
- Spread – when you look at it first, you may ask yourself if such a small machine works. You will be surprised at what a perfect spread comes with the Scotts.
- Weight – for such a small machine, it is very light and extremely stable that will shock you.
- Wastage – The Scotts’ design is perfect in that it does not waste any material in it.
- HOPPER CAPACITY: 130 lbs.; 1/2 acre (25,000 sq. ft.)
- SPREAD WIDTH: 10-12 ft. spread
- WHEELS: 13" x 4" pneumatic tires
- OPERATION: Easy to use universal hitch & direct rod control
- WARRANTY: 3 Year Limited Warranty
- Very easy to pull behind
- Easy adjustments and operation
- Excellent accessory options
- May need to adjust hitch height on your own
This best commercial fertilizer spreaders is perfect for those who have more extensive lawns and may need a tow behind spreader to cover it.
- Coverage – width of 12 feet
- Capacity – it has a capacity of up to 130 lbs
- Best for- large acreage
- Ability- all seasons and heavy load
Agri-Fab has done it again with this pull behind broadcast spreader. It can be mounted on any universal mount by just a simple hook up. It has a load capacity of 130lbs, which comes in handy when you want to spread to a huge lawn. It has a 12foot widespread that can be used in all seasons. It can handle all spreadable materials.
It is easy to maneuver due to its large wheelbase and simple controls that you can reach without any problems.It has pneumatic-tires that make it perfect even for rough terrains and it is very stable; it also has optional accessories that make it useful all year round and provides more control.
- It has a Durable rod linked with precise settings for on and off.
- Contains an Enclosed gearbox that has tapered gears for even spreads and last longlong life.
- Its has a wide base for more stability when on rugged terrains.
- It has an optional hopper cover and a mesh to sieve big chunks off.
No products found.
- Very comfortable
- Stable, smooth and easy to use
- Top design quality
- Great even spread
- It is very simple to start and need no servicing.
- Instructions are poor
- Difficult to set lower dispersal rates
This is very perfect for those that need a best commercial fertilizer spreaders. This one needs to be called the tank in that it is very heavy duty. It is ideal for extensive grounds that require fertilizer spreading within minimal time.
- Capacity – 50lb
- Dimensions (inches) – 15.8 x 14.5 x 23.6
- Weight – 27 lbs
- Five Year Warranty
It time to go in and check:
This spreader is very comfortable in that it has long handles and several holes that help you adjust the height. When you need to roll, it is easy in that it absorbs the shocks from the bumps. This implies that you can move the spreader up and down slopes without any discomfort of fear or it toppling over.
This 50lb capacity spreader has a compelling framework that can carry a load of up to 175lbs. It can spread a width of up to 9 feet wide with a two-position adjustable handle. It has tires that are 13-inch in diameter that is very durable; it also has a five-year limited warranty.
More than that:
- Design- it has a perfect design in that the drum is centered over a wide axis in order to increase the stability for when you push it. It is made of both plastic and metal, depending on the part of the spreader.
- Pneumatic tires- the spreader has large pneumatic tires that have a large surface area, which makes it easy for them to move over almost every surface with no problem.
- Anti-clumping- there is a grate that you can put on top of the bin to make sure that it sieves all the big chunks that are stuck together to avoid clumping. This ensures you get a perfect spread.
- Easy to use- it has a rate adjuster knob and a smooth on and off lever.
- Use the Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard DLX Broadcast Spreader to apply Scotts lawn care products
- Comes pre-calibrated and ready-to-use
- Scotts exclusive EdgeGuard Technology keeps lawn product off landscaping, driveways, and sidewalks
- Features redesigned hopper and agitator for smoother product funneling and consistent coverage
- Holds up to 15,000 sq. ft. of product, including grass seed and fertilizer
- Really comfortable handle
- Love the EdgeGuard feature
- Dial to set spread is great
- Large hopper
- Smooth broadcast
- Wheels aren’t great
- Fertilizer gets stuck inside them as well
This was made for
Those who are in dire need of an easy to push spreader. When applying your fertilizer, you want to enjoy the process and work with ease. The Scotts TurfBuilder Pro EdgeGuard Deluxe provides best budget fertilizer spreader.
- Coverage – Holds up to 10,500 sq. foot of product
- Spread Width – 5 feet
- Dimensions (inches) – 19 x 22 x 22
- Weight- 10 lbs
- Comes with Scott’s No Quibble Guarantee
This impressive best broadcast spreaders for the money has excellent coverage of up to 10,000 square feet and a spread width of up to five feet. It has a measurement of 19 x 22 x 22, and it weighs 10lbs. Like any other product from Scott’s, it has a No Quibble Guarantee, which means that you can get your money back, or you get a replacement in case you are not satisfied with the product.
Let’s get things underway:
This has a coverage area of up to 10,000 square feet and a spread width of five feet. It measures 19 x 22 x 22 and weighs 10lbs. As with any Scott’s product, it comes with their No Quibble Guarantee – so you can get your money back, or a replacement product, if you are not happy with it for any reason. It also utilizes Scott’s EdgeGuard technology; this guard stops fertilizers from rolling to the right side when it is engaged.
This spreader comes with padded and extremely comfortable handles ever seen; in addition to its height, even a tall person can be able to use it without having to hunch over. The controls are located within reach, so you do not have to stop and change every time.
More facts are
- It has the EdgeGuard Feature – this assists from unnecessary wastage of fertilizer or by getting weed killer on your flower beds. It can hold the overflow of the materials.
- Ease of use – the spread pattern is easy to set and control since it has an easy to read and set dial, which is much better than for other spreaders in the market.
- Size- the hopper is pretty big; hence it carries more material than other spreaders; this reduces the time that you have to walk in the yard while working.
- Smooth- This best broadcast spreaders for the money has a handy arrow made from plastic that you can line with the wheel to make sure you do not repeat where you had spread before; it has perfect blades that assist them in having a lovely smooth pattern.
- Cleaning – in that it is made from plastic, it is effortless to clean after use in that all you need to do is to hose it down.
Can I Use A Seed Spreader For Anything Other Than Seeding?
The name seed spreader is not cast on a stone for only seeds. A seed spreader is another name for the broadcast spreader meaning it can be used for spreading things like:
- Herbicides and insecticides
- Lime or sand when adjusting the soil’s composition
- Ice melt/ salt
What Else Do I Need To Consider
Choosing the ideal spreader is only simple if you have the right considerations in mind. The following pointers demonstrate what makes a suitable fertilizer spreader and what to focus on when making your purchase.
The size of the spreader is one of the critical things you have to put in mind. Ensure that you go for a size you can comfortably work with for significant results. The size of the fertilizer spreader also determines its capacity. If you are working in a large area, you have to consider a bigger size to use a minimum amount of time. If your lawn is small, you will have to settle for the smallest size meeting your needs.
When purchasing the reliable fertilizer spreaders, you also have to consider the size of your lawn. You cannot go for the handheld spreaders meant for smaller areas, yet you want to cover a larger area. Make sure that you go for a fertilizer spreader that meets your needs and facilitates your work.
The top fertilizer spreaders for lawn should be of the highest quality. It is essential not to compromise on the spreader’s quality if you are looking for a long-term relationship with your spreader. Whether your needs demand a large or small spreader, make sure that you deal with suppliers that put quality as a priority.
For you to settle for some of the most widely used fertilizer spreaders of the highest quality, ensure to do in-depth research. Make sure that you look for the top brands in the market known to offer the best quality. It will help you settle for a durable fertilizer spreader that can last you for a long time.
The price of the fertilizer spreader is a significant determinant of which spreader you will purchase. It is because you have to work within a reasonable budget and something you can comfortably afford. Fertilizer spreaders come at different prices and whether it is cheap or expensive depends on the buyer. Many people usually go for cheap products, which sometimes turn out to be costly if they do not last long. On the other hand, purchasing expensive products does not necessarily mean you are getting value for your money.
When purchasing the most widely used fertilizer spreaders, ensure that you do sufficient research and have a price in mind. It enables you to know who is too cheap and too expensive in the market. Come up with a list of reputable suppliers so that you can compare their prices and settle for the one making sense to your finances.
When choosing the good fertilizer spreaders for lawn, make sure that you purchase from a brand that offers a warranty. It gives you peace of mind knowing that it can be replaced if it does not operate as it should. Ensure that the warranty has a reasonable time frame, which should be between 3-5 years. A reputable brand will not shy away from offering an excellent warranty to its customers.
- Automated or manual
Deciding on whether to purchase an automated or manual fertilizer spreader is a personal choice. Irrespective of this, you have to consider your coverage before making this decision. Manually operated spreaders can be energy-consuming and tiresome to use if covering a wide area. It means the best choice should be an automated option. On the other hand, if you are a user that wants to have a more personal input, then the manual is the best choice for you.
Fertilizer spreaders are made of different materials depending on their needs. Some of them are made of steel, while others plastic. Deciding on the specific material is not rocket science. A steel spreader is associated with precision while the plastic is deemed durable. Depending on your preference and use, you select the one meeting your needs.
References and referrals are also essential factors to put in mind. Do sufficient research about the fertilizer spreaders available in the market and talk to close associates with valuable information. Find out their experiences with the particular fertilizer spreader you may be interested in to have a rough idea of what to expect. With sufficient information, you are more likely to make the best decision.
- Evenness of spread
The reliable fertilizer spreaders do just drop the fertilizer on the ground but should ensure it happens evenly. It is critical because it can lead to burnt spots or undernourished areas. As a result of this, ensure you go for a spreader that can evenly spread the fertilizer to ensure the result is an even lawn.