What We Have Covered in This Article
Last Updated on September 22, 2021 by woodcutter
If you are a homeowner who prepares firewood for winter regularly, a seasoned camper, or a wood chopper, you can agree with us that dragging logs and stacking split wood is not a walk in the park. The task requires regular moving of heavy lumber, a process that can take a toll on your arms, as well as your back.
Nevertheless, this century is unlike the old school days where one had to pick, move, and stack wood using their bare hands. Today’s innovative technology has led to the birth of wood stacking and log dragging tools like pickaroons and hookaroons.
The two tools look pretty much similar, with a slight difference on their heads. Hookaroons have a hook-shaped spike that is suitable for dragging heavy pieces of wood. Pickaroons have a straight spike ideal for stacking firewood and or logs.
Both tools make your logging project more comfortable, relatively effortless, and less time-consuming. They protect your hands and back muscles from excessive strain, injury, and or fatigue.
Just like any other tools, pickaroons and hookaroons come in multiple varieties fabricated by different tool makers. The devices have varying handle lengths, their spikes are made of unlike materials, and they also differ in weight. Each model suits the preferences of different users.
With so many hookaroons/pickaroons in the market, finding the best type can be an arduous task. Because of that, we have dissected some of the best hookaroon/pickaroon you would find in stores out there to save you from the stress.
Ochsenkopf OX 172 A-0900 hookaroon’s handle and head are constructed from aluminum to survive continuous heavy use and abuse for long. The aluminum construction is virtually resistant to weather elements that can accelerate its wear and tear.
Despite the metallic construction, this best hookaroon weighs a mere 1.68 pounds. The moderate weight protects you from the strain associated with the use of heavyweight hookaroons.
Moreover, the moderate weight lets you hook up logs with just a single swing. You will not need to use more physical strength when trying to dig deep into logs, trunks, wood, and any other lumber.
- For moving and picking up Small tree trunks and moving lumber. Aluminium hookeroon 90cm
- For ergonomic working, kind to the back
- Handle made of high-quality aluminum
- Comes with a 90cm or 50cm aluminum handle
- The handle has a non-slip plastic grip
- Weighs 1.68 pounds
- Aluminum head
- The tip has unique geometry to offer an excellent wood grip
Its handle comes in two height variations to suit the needs of tall and short users. If you are a tall user, get an Ochsenkopf hookaroon with the 35 inches long handle. If you are a short user, we suggest that you go for one with a 19.7-inch long handle. The handle variations let you invest in a hookaroon that would save your back from unnecessary strain.
Ochsenkopf OX 172’s aluminum handle has a plastic grip and a handle hook to stop your hands from slipping off the handle while dragging heavyweight lumber. The grip and handle flare guarantee you a secure grip when working during rainy days, hauling massive logs, or even when your hands get wet with sweat.
While the plastic grip provides a secure grasp, it may not keep your hands comfortable as soft rubber grips do. On that account, you would need to invest in a good pair of gloves to save your hands from sores.
The hookaroon’s head features a uniquely shaped geometry that can dig deep into a tree trunk. Therefore, you don’t have to fret about small accidents like the wood slipping and dropping back as you drag or lift it. However, Ochsenkopf OX 172’s aluminum spike gets dull quickly. So you will need to hone it after every few uses.
Unless collecting tools is your hobby, nobody wants a store overflowing with versions of the same machine. It is costly, and having many similar devices could be a sign that the previous ones were faulty. If that has been your issue, then it is time to get Felled’s logging Pickaroon/Hookaroon.
For less than $40, you will get a two in one tool. Just as its name implies, you can use this piece of equipment to carry, drag, and or stack your logs, trucks, and any other lumbar. You will not need to purchase a hookaroon or pickaroon as a separate tool.
Felled Logging Hookaroon/Pickaroon is unique from head to grip. Its head has a toothed beak with sharp edges. The design provides a robust hookaroon grip that would not let go of your logs as you drag and lift them.
- MULTI-USE AXE: Sharp blade axe with inseparable riveted head is an ideal wood chopper designed for firewood, yard work, and lawn cleanup, with maximum efficiency for more one-strike splits; Perfect for medium to large size logs
- EFFICIENT AND COMFORTABLE USE: IsoCore shock-absorbing handle with textured non-slip grip reduces hand strain, improves control, and prevents overstrike damage; 36" handle is ideal for taller users
- LONG-LASTING AND RELIABLE: Steel blade stays sharper longer than traditional axes while advanced blade geometry splits tough logs efficiently and makes the blade easier to remove from wood; Provides excellent durability and lasting value
- QUALITY OUTDOOR TOOLS: Designed to help you embrace the outdoors, Fiskars axes and hatchets are equipped with smart technologies and award-winning, ergonomic features that make it easier and more enjoyable to tackle outdoor tasks
- INCLUDES: 1 Fiskars IsoCore Wood Splitting Maul with protective sheath; Backed by a lifetime warranty
- 28-inch long wooden handle
- Pointed beak with toothed edges
- Non-slip grip with a flared hook
- Hook made of sturdy metal
- Weighs 1.6 pounds
The handle has a safety hook at the furthest end to hold your wrist and protect your palm from slipping away while moving massive logs. Furthermore, the handle has a plastic grip to enhance your palm’s comfort.
The entire hookaroon/ pickaroon is constructed from durable metal to survive wear and tear, which could result from regular dragging and lifting of dense wood, logs, tree trunks, and lumbar.
Also, the metallic construction can endure corrosion and rust, other significant reasons for wear and tear. Its handle has a yellowish plastic masking to give extra protection against harmful weather elements, as well as enhance the tool’s visibility.
In as much as Felled Logging Hookaroon pickaroon is made of heavy-duty metal, the tool itself is awesomely light. Therefore, it is a perfect pick for seniors, people with less physical energy, as well as those who want a tool that they can use for a prolonged period without straining their muscles.
Before you start using this tool, you will need to sharpen its beak since it comes blunt. Furthermore, you will need to re-sharpen the edges from time to time since they get dull after a few uses.
Gedore OX adopts all the qualities in the well-spoken hookaroons. Seemingly, the manufacturer equipped this woodworking tool with all the top features that define the best hookaroon in the tool market. It is an ideal hybrid hookaroon for moderate to large projects.
This best hookaroon comes with a 31.5-inch hickory wood handle to save you from over-bending your back while dragging or stacking wood. The length is friendly enough for short, medium-height, and tall users.
Gedore OX’s handle features a plastic grip to protect your hands from sliding off the handle while dragging heavy wood. Also, the grip saves your palms from developing blisters during those days when you need to work for long hours, and its colored yellow to enhance visibility.
- MOVE WOOD EASILY: For moving and picking up small tree trunks and moving lumber
- ERGONOMIC : kind on the back
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE HANDLES: high-quality ash handle is easy to grip
- QUALITY: Founded in 1781, Ochsenkopf forestry tools are made with the finest steel and have the best cut, forged to the best quality in Remscheid, Germany
- LIGHT-WEIGHT: It has a weight-head of 500 grams with a total weight of only 1100 grams
- 31.4 inches (80cm) long hickory handle
- Handle fitted with a plastic grip
- Head coated with a yellow finish to minimize corrosion
- Weighs 2.43 pounds
The wooden handle can last long since it doesn’t rust or corrode like metal. However, it might not be as sturdy as those handles made of aluminum and fiberglass. So, if you need a hookaroon with the most robust handle, this might not be your ideal choice.
If you’ve been reading through the internet, we guess that you have probably heard people complaining that some hookaroons are either too heavy or too light. Luckily, Gedore OX weighs 2.43 pounds, which is neither too heavy nor too light.
The balanced weight delivers enough swing power to drive your hookaroon’s hook deep into the log, trunk, or lumbar you are looking to drag. You will not need to use excessive effort to hook the hookaroon into woods.
A few people, more so those with small size palms, complain that Gedore OX 173 H-0580’s handle is too thick to grasp. However, the relatively thick handle might not be an issue for many adults with normal-size hands.
Ochsenkopf OX 172 SCH-050 stands as a one of the lightest hookaroon in Ochsenkopf’s line-up. It weighs just 0.9 pounds, an ideal weight for people with less physical energy, as well as hobbyists who need a hookaroon that they can carry around comfortably.
Despite its lightweight profile, this best hookaroon is sturdy enough for heavy use. Its entire frame is constructed from aluminum, a metal that is virtually resistant to corrosion, rust, and bad weather elements. Into the bargain, the aluminum material can survive regular abuse resulting from dragging and lifting heavy wood.
Just like its Ochsenkopf siblings, OX 172 hookaroon’s features an ingenious construction from head to the handle. The handle has a studded plastic grip that is easy to hold, and tender to touch. A safety hook on the back of the handle protects your hands from slipping off while dragging logs.
- For moving and picking up Small tree trunks and moving lumber. Aluminium hookeroon with cutting edge 50cm
- With additional cutting edge on the rear side for quick cutting of wood fibers
- For ergonomic working, kind to the back
- 50 cm (19.7 inches) long aluminum handle
- Aluminum head with toothed beak and ax-like cutting edge
- Ergonomic grip
- The handle has a safety hook
- Weighs 0.9 pounds
The handle’s yellow coating offers an additional layer of protection against bland elements like moisture. Into the bargain, the bright yellow color enhances your hookaroon’s visibility, thereby protecting you from stepping on the tool’s spike accidentally, or even misplacing it.
Ochsenkopf OX 172’s head features a toothed beak and a sharp ax-like cutting edge. The toothed nib provides a firm grip on wood to save you from the accidents that could result when a log slips off the hookaroon. You can use the sharp cutting edge to cut branches and softwood fiber on your logs.
Its 19.7 inches long handle works well for short and medium height users. Hence, if you are a tall user, this might be the right fit for you since you might have to over-bend your back when organizing and dragging logs.
While Ochsenkopf ranks among the most expensive hookaroons on our best list, it delivers an excellent value for your money. You wouldn’t regret spending more on a lightweight hookaroon with a durable construction, an ergonomic grip, and an ingeniously designed multi-purpose head.
Fiskars’ 28-inch hookaroon boasts of a lifetime warranty that protects your investment from unforeseen manufacturing blemishes. If you encounter any problem within the warranty period, Fiskars will help you fix it at no cost.
This best hookaroon’s head is designed from boron steel, a durable metal that can last a long period even when subjected to continuous use. The metal is rust-resistant, and it retains its sharp edges for a reasonable period.
Its ability to maintain its sharpness for a reasonable period makes it an excellent alternative to those hookaroons/pickaroons that get dull quickly. You will not need to hone its beak after every short use.
- MULTI-USE HOOKAROON: Pointed, angled hookaroon blade is ideal for grabbing and moving logs with ease; Designed for firewood, yard work, and lawn cleanup, with maximum efficiency for grabbing and releasing wood; Ideal for medium to large size logs
- EFFICIENT AND COMFORTABLE USE: Sturdy, lightweight handle with textured non-slip grip and flared end reduces hand strain and improves control; Steel blade head provides ideal profile and texturing for grabbing and releasing wood
- LONG-LASTING AND RELIABLE: Hardened boron steel blade stays strong through heavy use; Provides excellent durability and lasting value
- QUALITY TOOLS: Designed to help you embrace the outdoors, Fiskars outdoor tools are equipped with smart technologies and award-winning, ergonomic features that make it easier and more enjoyable to tackle outdoor tasks
- INCLUDES: 1 28" Fiskars Hookaroon with protective sheath; Full lifetime warranty
- Has a lifetime warranty
- Beak made of boron steel
- 28 inches FiberComp handle
- Equipped with a handle flare
- Non-slip grip
- 1.8 pounds
Fiskars hookaroon’s hooked beak has an ultra-sharp toothed edge that provides a secure grip on the wood. It saves the time you would have wasted fixing the hook into logs every time it slips off.
Its 28-inch handle is made of FiberComp, a light but durable material. The handle has soft grips to secure your grasp and enhance your palm’s comfort. Also, the handle has a flare hook that protects your hands from sliding off while using the tool.
The handle’s 28-inch length protects you from over-bending your back. However, if you are tall, you will have to bend slightly when using this best hookaroon from Fiskars. The handle length is ideal for short and medium height users.
As a bonus, this hookaroon comes with a sheath to protect its head from moisture and other external elements that would accelerate your tool’s wear and tear. Also, the sheath safeguards the sharp blades from injuring you while transporting it.
Fiskars Hookaroon’s moderate weight provides sufficient swing power while protecting your hand and back muscles from the fatigue associated with using heavy models. It weighs just 1.8 pounds.
Husqvarna Genuine 579692801 comes bottom in our best list. However, its position on this list does not mean that it is low quality or a poor performance hookaroon. In fact, it is the perfect pick for campers and highly mobile woodchoppers who need an excellent hookaroon for moving or organizing lightweight lumber.
Moreover, this short hookaroon is a suitable choice for homeowners who are on a budget, as well as those who deal with woodworks once in a while.
While its short wooden handle seems like a rip-off, it suits the work it is meant to do. The short handle lets you carry the hookaroon anywhere as it takes up little space in your camping bag or toolbox. Into the bargain, the short handle reduces your tool’s overall weight.
Husqvarna Genuine 579692801’s head is made of a polished, heavy-duty metal that can handle light to medium woodworking projects. The head has a sharp, hooked beak to enhance its grip on wood.
- · Genuine Husqvarna Part # 579692801
- · Short Handsappie – 15”
- · To Pull and Move Weaker Wood and Sawn Timber
- · Polished Metal Head with Sharply Bent Tip
- · Wood Handle Partley Painted with Orange Color Making Tool Very Visible
- 15-inch wooden handle
- Metallic head with a sharp hook
- Handle painted orange for enhanced visibility
- Weighs 1.89 pounds
The metallic head’s moderate weight provides enough lever power to let you stick the hookaroon’s beak into soft and hard logs with just one strike. You will not need to spend all your energy trying to hook those hard logs.
If you intend to move heavy logs, this might not be the best hookaroon to purchase. The manufacturer recommends it for moving light logs. Therefore, subjecting it to large projects would accelerate its wear and tear.
Surprisingly, Husqvarna’s genuine hookaroon is not overpriced as the case with most hookaroons from reputable tool manufacturers. In as much as it is highly demanded, the cost remains budget-friendly.
This short hookaroon’s handle lacks a grip and a handle flare to keep your hands from slipping off while dragging logs or when stacking split wood. Though, this might not be a big rip-off if you already invested in a good pair of gloves.
Our pick for manage log
The tool market offers a vast choice of Hookaroons or pickaroons from different manufacturers. But as we know, not all manufacturers make high-quality tools. Some use deceptive advertisements to trick you into buying their low-quality appliances.
For that reason, finding a good pickaroon or hookaroon can be an uphill, more especially if it is the first time to own one. If you are loooking to start your search for the best hookaroons/pickaroons, don’t fret. We have made your work easy by evaluating some of the best pickaroons/ hookaroons to buy.
Our best hookaroons/pickaroons fit the budgets of low to high-end buyers, as well as the ergonomic needs of short to tall users. They last long, offer excellent ergonomics, and some have an outstanding warranty to protect your investment.
Users who need an inexpensive all-round hookaroon can get Felled Logging Hookaroon Pickaroon. Just as its name suggests, you can use the tool as a pickaroon for stacking split wood, or a hookaroon for dragging heavy logs. Felled Logging Hookaroon Pickaroon has a 28-inch handle which is suitable for short and tall users. Its pointed beak has toothed teeth for enhanced grip, and its handle has a flared hook and plastic grip to protect your hands from slipping off the handle. Felled Logging Hookaroon is our favorite.