Last Updated on March 20, 2022 by woodcutter
Before the introduction of power tools, gardeners, landscapers, and hobbyists used crude manual tools to drill holes for erecting posts or planting trees. While the manual tools got the job done, they were time-consuming and strenuous to use.
With advances in technology, tool makers innovated electric and gas-powered post hole diggers. These modern pieces of equipment made hole drilling an easy, and less time-consuming task.
However, each year, the design and output capabilities of these tools continue to evolve. Companies keep releasing new models, and new manufacturers with better tool-making abilities keep popping up.
The vast array of post hole diggers offered in the market makes it hard to choose the best post hole digger from substandard competitors. The encounter is more complicated for first-time buyers and those who don’t have a particular model in mind.
If you have been battling the challenges above, keep reading through this handy product review. We have scrutinized 7 of the post hole digger reviews which the market has to offer. The review would help you save the money you could have invested in an inferior model.
Top post hole diggers reviews to try out
Southland SEA438 is a one-person earth auger with a robust “full” crankshaft engine. With such power, you can drill through compact and rocky soils with minimal physical effort. Despite having a powerful engine, it has a fair price point than any other post hole diggers of the same class.
Useful design queues give this machine comfortable operational ergonomics. The controls are simple, allowing you to use them intuitively. Its 43cc 2-stroke engine delivers 316 RPM to let you complete moderate to hard drilling projects quickly.
The unit’s fuel delivery system uses a manual recoil configuration that makes the machine easy to start and stop. Its 32-gallon fuel tank carries enough gasoline to keep you working for a reasonable period before you pause to refuel.
- Manual recoil easy start fuel delivery system
- Includes Gas Powerhead with 8” Auger Bit; 6-inch bit available and sold separately
- Direct gear with solid steel drive shaft
- Wide detachable butterfly handles for better balance and convenient storage
- Depending on soil conditions, the maximum depth using the 8 inch bit is 2.5 feet.
- Please refer to owner's manual for directions on proper use
- Fuel Tank Capacity (gallons): .32
- Note : Kindly refer the USER MANUAL which is available below for assistance
- Detachable butterfly handles
- Fuel effective engine
- Conveniently located throttle enhances safety
- Designed to balance effectively when in use
- Easy to start recoil engine
Not so Good
- Its efficiency reduces in rocky soils
Large butterfly handles featured on the device make it easy for one or two people to operate the post hole digger. The butterfly handles have thick and durable foam grips that enhance comfort and moderate excessive vibrations. You can detach the handles whenever you want to store your machine or transport it.
Southland post hole digger’s components are designed from cast metal, an easy to clean ore that can endure wear from regular use for a prolonged period. Moreover, cast metal is resilient to oxidization and rusting.
Some customers complain that the engine is fragile. However, if you use and maintain this top rated poste hole digger as the manufacturer recommends, the engine will work at optimal levels, and it will serve you for a reasonable period.
The Southland SEA438 comes in separate parts that require some assembly. The process might be cumbersome, but its handy manual and user guide would walk you through the assembling process. In fact, you can unbox and assemble it in less than an hour.
This lightweight, yet sturdy machine features a two-stroke 55cc engine that can handle a variety of hole digging tasks. A unique aspect of this machine is its conformity to many auger bits with ¾-inch shaft size.
A manual recoil system makes the engine easy to start. All you need is a quick pull on the start action to get it revving. The fuel tank is translucent, which makes it easy to monitor fuel consumption.
The 2.3 horsepower gasoline engine inducts air forcefully to protect it from over-heating. That is why you can dig up to 4 feet into the ground with less physical effort. You will also be delighted to learn that it can dig through rocky soil with minimal issues.
No products found.
- One-man operated
- Adaptable with various accessories
- Powerful engine
- Intuitive controls
Not so Good
- Engine prone to flooding
- Slow start time
The handlebar has all the controls that you would need to operate your best post hole digger with great convenience. It has an easy to grip throttle and switch commands to regulate your machine’s speed and power.
The unit weighs 25 pounds, a lightweight profile that makes it easy to transport. Moreover, the lightweight saves your muscles from the unnecessary strain, which could result when using the earth auger for a prolonged period.
Its 6-inch auger bit makes it a suitable option for most light to moderate hole drilling tasks. You can use it to dig up holes for fencing, planting trees and shrubbery, erecting posts for your clothesline, or setting up a mailbox.
Despite its high price point, the gas powered earth auger delivers a reasonable value for money spent. From sturdy materials to an effective power delivery system, there is no question on its money-quality value. What’s more, this best post hole digger for rocky soil comes with a limited time warranty.
XtremepowerUS V-type one-person drill fitted with an 8″ auger bit is a sure bet for every buck spent. It is an all-round, heavy-duty workhorse capable of drilling through loose and compact soils. Additionally, it comes with a 60-month warranty.
Its powerful 2-stroke engine delivers an excellent output to let you complete your hole drilling tasks within the shortest time possible. Into the bargain, its 36 inches long and 8 inches thick auger bit drills through all types of soil in a fraction of the time.
XtremepowerUS one-person drill has innovative fantail points on its cutting blade. The fantails, coupled with flex coils, absorb shock, and they enhance stability while drilling tasks. The engine’s recoil ignition system makes starting the machine a piece of cake.
A translucent fuel tank lets you keep an eye on fuel consumption while engaged in your hole drilling project. So, your best post hole digger would not run out of gas while in the middle of your project.
- XtremepowerUS Post Hole Digger gives you plenty of power to efficiently dig and bore through holes for decks, fence posts, tree planting and more
- Engineered with a manual recoil start easy fuel delivery system that allows for a quick-pull start action and the built-in translucent fuel tank lets you easily keep track of the proper fuel level
- Engine Type: Single Cylinder, Air-cooled Gasoline Engine; Engine Displacement: 55CC; Engine Cycles: 2 Cycle; Horsepower: 2.3
- Package Include - 55CC Gas Powerhead Auger Digger Machine with 8" inch Auger Bit Kit
- Post hole diggers are made adaptable with most standard auger bits with shaft size of 3/4-inch; Easy-to-grip finger throttle and switch control on handlebar for enhanced user power and speed control at your fingertips.
- Shock absorption technology
- Replaceable auger blades
- A versatile range of use
- Powerful 43 cc engine
- Equipped with safety lock function
Not so Good
- Wobbly at high speeds
- Prone to getting stuck to the ground
For convenience purposes, XtremepowerUS one-person drill uses an effective air-cooling system to shield its powerhead from overheating and stalling. Its controls are on the handlebar, a feature that lets you control its drilling power effectively.
This unit is also light and easy to assemble or disassemble. Such factors greatly enhance the space economy, which is an advantage if you have limited storage space. At just 25 pounds, it is less strenuous to operate regardless of the user’s physical strength.
This model is a bit pricey, but it delivers excellent value for each dollar spent. High fuel economy and sturdy built quality are a guarantee when you opt for this unit. Its replacement parts are widely available, and it comes with a limited warranty.
Next on the list, we have the ECO LLC 52cc Gas Powered 2.4HP Post Hole Digger. This little beauty is the best on the list for drilling holes into hardpan and rocky soil. This model comes with a 55 cc engine with an output of 2.4 horsepower.
Such an enhanced power output allows the ECO to achieve an impressive 7500 RPM. Unlike most units on the list, this model features self-sharpening steel, a feature that would save you the time and money you could have used in maintenance.
Its engine uses a manual recoil system to enhance fuel economy, as well as let you start or stop your unit smoothly. A sturdy steel frame and handlebar protect the operator and engine against injury and damage, respectively.
Into the bargain, the handles have foam grips to keep your hands comfortable, as well as minimize the intensity of vibrations emanating from the post hole digger’s powerful gasoline engine. You can operate it without gloves.
- Detachable components
- Self-sharpening rotary bits
- Easy to store and transport
- Updated design
- It can drill through hardpans, rocks, and soils with roots.
Not so Good
Its detachable shafts and butterfly handles enhance the unit’s portability. Moreover, the removable parts let you disassemble your unit to a compact profile that would consume less storage space.
Another useful feature on this model is that you will need less than half an hour to assemble the components. The only major drawback to such a setup is it ships in 2 packages, which may separate in transit.
Weighing 56 pounds, the unit can overwhelm your muscles if you intend to use for prolonged hole drilling sessions. As such, it might be ideal for seniors and any other person with less physical energy.
Every aspect of the Tool Tuff Hand-held post hole digger has the final consumer in mind. This drill is built to last, and it operates with reasonable efficiency. Each feature minimizes the strain users would experience.
This model comes fitted with an ultra-powerful 63cc engine that produces three horsepower output. The powerful engine output makes the earth auger an efficient solution for large commercial or domestic hole drilling projects.
The gas-powered earth auger requires a 2-man crew to handle the machine as stably and effectively as possible. You will need more workforce if you intend to use the tool on stubborn hardpans.
The unit has a fuel primer bulb, a handy extra that lets you start and stop your machine quickly and effortlessly.
No products found.
- Highly durable
- Excellent stability
- Low fuel consumption
- Ideal for heavy workloads
Not so Good
- Requires a 2-man crew to operate
- Handgrips are less comfortable compared to other units
A double reduction gearbox lightens the unit without compromising the output. All the materials used in this model are of high quality and durable. The durable materials increase your unit’s life expectancy.
You can operate the machine safely for tree planting, cutting ice holes, general construction, plumbing, and on many other tasks. You also get to enjoy a broader range of auger compatibility. The ¾-inch mounting shaft has a 3/8 inch attachment, and it comes with a default auger of 12 inches.
The maximum capacity of the fuel tank is 1.4 L of fuel, and the recommended fuel to oil ration is 40:1. With this ratio, you can achieve a maximum auger rotation of 183 RPM. Like most of the units featured here, this one has a simple pull cord that you use to get the unit revving.
ECO LLC 52cc Post Digger comes with a gas-powered 2.4 Horsepower engine to deliver enough drilling power for light to heavy hole drilling projects. It is an ideal mate for drilling holes for erecting a fence or planting trees.
Different from its compatriot featured on this list, ECO LLC 52cc post hole digger comes equipped with a six and 10-inch auger bits. This saves the money you would have used on purchasing extra augers bits, and it gives you the freedom to use the right auger bit for every unique task.
Assembly and disassembly are easy. So, you can switch between the 6″ and 10″ bits with minimal effort using basic tools. Such ease of use makes this set ideal for various construction and gardening projects. A simple pull to start system means that you can get the machine to a revving start as soon as you assemble.
- ☛【52CC GASLINE ENGINE】The auger is ideal for quickly fast drilling into the earth in order to set into the ground: fence posts, poles, trees, shrubs etc. Equipped with a 52CC 2.4HP gasoline engine, the auger can be handled by one or two people easily for a wide variety of tasks.
- ☛【MULTIPLE SIZE DRILL BITS】Supplied with bits of 6" & 10" meet your different hole dig requirements. With this tool, you will be enabling drilling of multiple holes in quick succession and save much time.
- ☛【MAIN PARAMTER】Engine: Single Cylinder, 2-stroke, air-cooled; 2 Cycle Oil /Gasoline Mixing Ratio:1:25 ; Safety: Bit Lock; Power: 1.8KW/8000rpm; Carburetor with pump; Easy starting system (cord starter). Centrifugal clutch; Change bits quickly and easily.
- ☛【PERFECT DIRT DIGGING】Lightweight & Easy to start, it is the perfect machine that will empower you to have ultimate control of over your land.
- 🚚【2 PACKAGE SHIPPING❗❗❗】One package is for the 52CC engine head and the other package is for the auger bit (6"10"), usually the rest of the packages arrive about 2-3 days apart, please contact our customer service team if you have any questions.
- Comes with two auger bits
- Well balanced for diverse operations
- Can be used by one person
- Easy to start motor
- Fuel efficient option
Not so Good
- High price point
The gasoline engine also boasts of an impressive 7500-RPM capability. With such an output, you can make mince of even the most stubborn of compacted earth. You will also endure less maintenance on the cutting edges of the bits as they are self-sharpening.
The gas-powered post hole digger has detachable fly handles. You can remove the handles whenever you wish to store your unit in a cramped room, or when you are transporting it. Each handle has foamy grips to keep your palms comfortable.
Overall, you get a very high value for money despite the high price point. The manufacturer covers this investment’s parts with a limited warranty. So, if your unit breaks down, the manufacturer’s technicians will help you fix them free of charge.
Last on the list is the battery-powered Landworks heavy Duty earth auger. Unlike its gas-powered rivals, this unit uses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery. It is an ideal fit for those who wish to avoid the toxic fumes released by gasoline-powered engines.
You can dig up to 30 holes on a single full charge. Such a feat is hard for most units in the same class and even some on the list. However, it is not ideal for those looking to drill several holes at a time.
Weighing 35 pounds, this best post hole digger might be cumbersome for seniors, people living with chronic illnesses, and people with less physical energy. However, such a weight maximizes its overall operational stability.
Its sturdy steel construction makes it tough enough to survive the wear and tear that could result from regular use. Moreover, the steel frame is resistant to corrosion, one of the major causes of accelerated wear.
- SPECS; Powered by an all eletric brushless motor that produces a output of 320RPMs Reverse Torque Control (RTC) Button, to quickly eject the auger fast and efficiently; All augers are produced with the universal Cap Screw Bolt thread design
- ECO-FRIENDLY; Unlike gasoline augers, battery-powered produce no smog and are quieter; Whole kit weighing only 22 Lbs; Earth Auger setup can dig approx 30 holes (with a 2Ah battery at 88.8 Watt Hours) or 60 holes
- EFFICIENT DESIGN; Our Powerhead is designed with a 3-Planetary Gear Mechanism for higher transmission efficiency; Brushless Motor makes the digging process smooth and efficient
- SAFETY FIRST; We recommended to always operate auger unit with eye protection; This auger is equipped with an overload protector to prevent overheating; Wide-spaced handle contrustion for improved balance during operation
- BEST APPLICAITON; Use Earth Augers for post-hole diggins/prepping, planting: bedding, bulbs, seedlings or fertilizing shrubs, water aeration, weed control and root removal
- Eco-friendly option
- Features LED surface light
- Less noisy
- Rapid and powerful performance
- High capacity Lithium-ion battery
Not so Good
- Quite heavy
- Requires downtime to recharge
Landworks heavy duty earth auger uses a 2.01 brushless motor that generates 320 RPM. Such an output provides enough drilling power to drill through loose and relatively compact soils. It might not be ideal for use on rocky grounds. In fact, some gardeners who have tried this unit say that their unit could not drill through densely compact soils.
Assembly is easy and almost intuitive since it has fewer parts than its gas-powered competitors. Therefore, if you dislike hard to assemble post hole diggers, we would suggest that you invest in Landworks’ heavy-duty auger.
This top post hole digger comes equipped with reverse controls, a feature that you can only find in high-end gas-powered earth augers. The feature comes in handy when pulling the machine from the soil.
This Landworks model also comes fitted with an LED surface light to maximize visibility when digging.