What We Have Covered in This Article
Last Updated on April 30, 2020 by woodcutter
A best garden seeder or spreader is a vital equipment for property owners who wish to keep their lawn healthy and green all year round. These pieces of equipment help you plant seeds uniformly on your lawn.
Besides planting grass seeds, you can use garden seeders/spreaders to apply fertilizer, herbicide, ice melt, and any other pelletized lawn care products. They make seed planting or spreading fertilizer is an easy and less time-consuming task.
Just like any other gardening equipment, tool stores have an array of garden seeders/spreaders. Each brand is designed to meet the distinctive needs of each property owner or landscaper.
Top 8 Best Garden Seeders/Spreaders
The best rated garden seeder in the market out there have varying hopper sizes and seed spacing width. Moreover, they have different price tags, and they are fabricated from various construction materials.
With multiple brands of seeders/spreaders to choose from, you can feel mixed up when looking to buy the most appropriate brand for your lawn maintenance project. Are you battling such a problem with types of seeders?
If yes, we have analyzed eight of the best garden seeders that would streamline your lawn care tasks. Our picks are made to last and operate with the utmost efficiency. Read on to find a seeder/spreader that would serve you better.
- 100 lbs. hopper capacity
- 32-inches spread width
- Hopper fabricated from rust-proof material
- Equipped with a universal hitch
- Equipped with eight steel spikes
- Three years warranty
- Has flat-free 10 inch wheels
Agri-Fab’s engineers designed this best garden seed spreader to let you grow and maintain a beautiful lawn all year round. You can use it to apply fertilizer during spring, apply grub control during summer, apply herbicide during fall, and apply ice melt during winter. It is a versatile spreader for passionate gardeners.
With a 100lbshopper capacity, this best garden spreaders carries enough seed or fertilizer to cover an area of 40,000 square feet in one refill. The generous size hopper lets you spend less time refilling it, and more time working. This is one of the reasons why the garden spreader is popular among property owners or landscapers with extensive lawns.
- Rustproof poly hopper increases product life
- 32" Working width
- Can aerate and seed in one pass with this combined design
- 8 galvanized Steel spike Disks for thorough aeration
- 10" Flat free tires
- Galvanized Steel agitator.Do not aerate if the ground is too wet
Agri-Fab 45-0543’s hopper and spikes are made of a premium metal to serve you over several planting and fertilizing seasons. The premium metal has excellent resistance to the corrosion occasioning from exposure to unforgiving chemicals and weather elements.
The garden seeder/spreader’s steel spike disks improve your lawn’s health by aerating it, as well as enhancing the permeability of water, nutrients, and sunlight to the roots of the grass, or any other plant on your garden.
Its 10 inch wide tires enhance the spreader’s mobility on wet or snowy lawns and freshly cultivated gardens. The wheels’ flat-free nature saves you from the hassle of dealing with punctures while engaged in your lawn maintenance project.
Agri-Fab 45-0543 comes equipped with a universal hitch that is compatible with all brands of garden tractors. Moreover, you can attach the hitch on your ATV or UTV without any significant modification.
This best fertilizer spreader comes as separate parts that need assembly. Thus if you are not mechanically inclined, you may face a challenge setting it up. Also, this tow garden seeder might not navigate through tightly landscaped lawns.
Agri-Fab 45-0543 covers this garden seeder with a three-year warranty. The manufacturer will help you fix parts that break down within the warranty period at no charge. This best garden seeder might not be appropriate if you intend to use it in tightly landscaped lawns.
- Has 125 lbs. hopper capacity
- Equipped with 12-inch pneumatic wheels
- Hopper is resistant to rusting
- Made of heavy-duty parts
- Has an adjustable spread width of 10-12 inches
- Equipped with a universal hitch
Yard Commander designed this tow behind spreader to let you maintain large lawns within a short time using less effort. It boasts of a 125 lbs hopper capacity, which is sufficient enough to let you plant seeds, apply fertilizer, control weeds, or apply ice melt on an average area of 25,000 square feet.
The generous hopper capacity saves you from wasting much of your lawn care time in refilling. Therefore, this best garden lawn spreader would be an excellent seeder for maintaining extensive lawns, golf courses and playgrounds.
The hopper comes with a screen and rain cover to protect your lawn care products from damage that could result from rain or exposure to direct sunlight. Hence, you can use this piece of gardening equipment during those rainy or sunny days without issue.
- DURABLE COMPOSITE HOPPER: Resistant against corrosion and harsh chemicals, it’s 125-pound capacity can cover up to 25,000 square feet of area with a single load.
- PREMIUM CAST ALUMINUM GEARS: Ensures that your spreader will stand up to the elements for years to come.
- CONVIENIENT GATE LEVER: Allows users to quickly control the rate of spread as well as prevent excess material from escaping when at rest.
- UNIVERSAL HITCH: Attaches quickly and easily to most tractors and ATVs in the market.
- INCLUDED HOPPER COVER: Allows for use during light rain or snow to prevent material from balling up during use.
Agri-Fab designed the spreader’s hopper from a corrosive-resistant material to stand the test of time. The hopper material has excellent resistance to the harsh chemicals in fertilizers, ice melt, herbicides, and any other lawn care product.
With its 12-inch pneumatic wheels, this spreader can navigate through all terrains. They can maneuver through lawns with loose soil, snowy gardens, as well as wet and slippery surfaces. The pneumatic wheels need little maintenance.
This tow behind best rated garden seeder comes with a universal hitch for convenient towing. You can attach the hitch on any brand of tractor, UTV, and or ATV. Once connected, you can access the spreaders on/off switch, flow rate regulator, and any other control from the comfort of your driver’s seat.
- 110 lbs. hopper capacity
- Delivers 10 feet broadcasting width
- Rust-proof hopper
- Equipped with a universal hitch
- Other parts fabricated from heavy-duty metal
Craftsman’s engineers made this best grass seeder spreader for passionate landscapers and property owners who wish to keep a well-maintained lawn all year round. You can use this best fertilizer spreaders to apply grub control in summer, apply fertilizer during spring, as well as overseed bare areas during any other favorable season.
In winter, you can use this versatile garden seeder to apply ice melt on your lawn, driveway, walkways, or any other part within your premises. Into the bargain, you can use I to haul snow and debris littered on your lawn.
Craftsman constructed this robust broadcast spreader from sturdy materials to survive regular and heavy users. Its hopper is fabricated from a rustproof material to withstand corrosion from fertilizers, seed preservatives, and ice melt chemicals. Its other parts and brackets are manufactured from heavy-duty stainless steel, a corrosive resistant construction material.
- Up to 10 ft. Spread width in broadcast pattern
- 10 in. Large pneumatic tires allow for smooth transport
- 110 lb. Hopper capacity covers approximately 1/3 Acre (17, 500 sq. Ft.)
- Assembled dimensions: 43 in. L x 26 in. W x 38 in. H
- Rustproof poly hopper and spreader plate increase product life
- Heavy-duty Steel gear for increased product life
- Universal Hitch attaches easily and quickly to all Tractors
With a hopper capacity of 110 lbs., this best broadcast spreader carries enough lawn care material to cover a large area with one feel. It is an excellent alternative to spreaders with low capacity hoppers. A single hopper refill can cover an average area of 17,500 square feet.
Its universal hitch lets you attach the garden spreader to any brand of the lawn tractor, ATV, or UTV. Once connected, you can access all its controls from the comfort of your driver’s seat.
Craftsman broadcast best grass seeder spreader’s pneumatic wheels give you the convenience and stability you need to maneuver through your lawn. They can roll through loose soil, snowy gardens, wet grasslands, as well as rough driveways.
Like many tow seeders/spreaders, this unit comes disassembled. You will need strong mechanical skills to set it up or hire an experienced mechanic to help you set it up correctly. If you have large yard to fertilize then Craftsman best garden fertiliser spreader is one of them to ease your task.
- Features an easy push design
- Constructed from a robust steel frame
- Features a row marker for uniform planting
- Equipped with ergonomic grips
- Equipped with six seed spreaders
Purchase Chapin‘s best push garden seeder to plant grass seeds, apply fertilizer, or spread ice melt in those parts where large wheeled garden seeders cannot maneuver. You can also consider purchasing this seeder from Chapin if you have a small lawn to maintain.
Despite its compact size, this best garden seeder has multiple features to simplify your lawn maintenance projects particularly spread fertilizer. It is constructed from a heavy-duty steel frame coated to resist rust and corrosion for many seasons. So, this best garden fertilizer spreader perfect for every time which makes it great for gardens.
It features six interchangeable seed plates that give you the freedom to plant over 20 types of seeds on your lawn or garden. A 30-inch rotating wheel on its front side serves as a row marker to let you plant seeds uniformly, as well as avoid overseeding or over-fertilizing one part of your lawn.
- 6 SEED PLATES: switch up the plate depending on your type of vegetable, works with up to 20 seed types - baby Lima beans, baby beans, medium beans, medium peas, sunflower, cucumber, corn, sweet corn, small beets, radishes, Brussels sprouts, rutabaga, parsnips, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, rhubarb, endive, carrots, cauliflower, celery, kale, lettuce, onions, peppers, turnips
- 1.5 LITER HOPPER: poly, rust-resistant seed hopper holds up to 1.5 liters of vegetable seeds, supported on a durable, powder-coated steel frame; work comfortably with the cushioned handle grips
- MARK, PREP, PLACE, COVER: do all four by simple pushing the seeder; marks the row, plows the row with the zinc plow blade, places the seeds and covers the row, with the wide rear wheel, as you walk through your garden
- ROW MARKER: adjustable rotating wheel row marker provides correct width for the next row; fully customizable depending on the type of seeds being planted; set it before starting if you’re planting the same seeds and adjust when switching to a new seed
- DESIGNED AND ENGINEERED IN THE USA: designed by Chapin engineers in Batavia, NY and backed by Chapin’s 1-year limited warranty
This best garden seeder comes with the wide rear wheel to give you the stability you need to maneuver through your lawn. Besides maneuverability, the wide rear wheel works alongside the seeder’s plow to cover your seeds with a thin layer of soil.
The best push garden seeder’s handles have sturdy soft grips to keep your palms comfortable while pushing the seeder around your lawn. Into the bargain, the grips fittings give you a firm grip when operating the seeder on rainy days.
While this garden seeder stands as an excellent back-up for maintaining hard to maneuver lawns, it has a low hopper capacity. You will need to refill it after every short period to get the job done. However, this should not be an issue if you use it to seed or fertilize small size lawns.
- Heavy-duty frame
- Generously sized hopper for small projects
- Delivers 22-inch spread pattern
- Comes assembled
- Calibrated hopper
Are you looking for a suitable best garden seed spreader to manage your small or medium size residential lawn? If yes, Scotts’ classic drop spreader would be an ideal buy for your lawn maintenance services.
Scotts designed best fertilizer spreader for lawns from a sturdy frame that can serve you for several decades if maintained as recommended. The frame is resistant to the corrosion that could result from regular exposure to harsh chemicals in fertilizer, ice melt, and other lawn care products.
Scotts Classic Drop Spreader’s hopper carries enough lawn care material to cover an estimated area of 10,000 square feet. You can use it to apply fertilizer, ice melt, sand, herbicide, or any other pelletized lawn care product. Also, you can use it to plant grass seeds on your garden.
- Large capacity hopper holds up to 10,000 sq. ft. of Scotts lawn product, including grass seed and fertilizer
- Heavy-duty frame for optimum stability
- 22-inch spread pattern delivers maximum coverage and accuracy
- Fully assembled
- Ready to use and pre-calibrated
The hopper’s calibrations let you use the appropriate amount of lawn care products on your lawn. It minimizes wastage and or over-application of pelletized lawn care products.
Different from the seeders/spreaders that come disassembled, this spreader from Scotts come fully assembled. For that reason, you will not need to spend extra dollars on hiring a technician to help or waste your precious time fumbling with the assembly process.
Its handles have rubber fitting that gives you the comfort you need to push it around your lawn. An easy to access control on the ergonomic handle lets you control the flow rate and volume of the material you are spreading on your lawn.
Scotts’ engineers equipped this broadcast spreader with a pair of non-flat plastic wheels. The wheels offer excellent tractability on wet and snowy lawns. However, some landscapers who have tried this spreader report that the wheels can sink into wet grasslands when loaded fully.
- Chest mounted
- Equipped with sturdy chest straps
- Has easy to access controls
- Has a 20-pound hopper capacity
- Equipped with a large opening for easy loading and cleaning
- Built from sturdy materials
Get this chest mounted best garden seeder to maintain your small size lawn or garden, as well as fertilize lawns that are hard to maneuver with a wheeled garden seeder. Solo’s engineers designed this portable garden’s hopper from a rugged polyethylene material to resist corrosion from harsh chemicals in lawn care products.
Other parts on this portable shoulder mount seeder are fabricated from rust-resistant stainless steel. This best seed spreader has sturdy construction can survive wear occasioning from regular lawn care and maintenance for decades.
The hopper utilizes a screw-on cap to shield your lawn care products from spillage. Into the bargain, the screw-on cap protects you from burns and any other form of irritation that could occur when the lawn care products come into contact with your skin.
- Fingertip levers control direction and volume
- Large opening allows easy filling and cleaning
- 20 lbs Capacity hopper with cap protects operator from chemicals and Dust
- Manufacturer: SOLO
Just like its wheeled compatriots, you can use this portable chest on seeder to apply several pelletized materials on your lawn. For instance, you can use it to apply ice melt during winter, broadcast grass seeds during spring, as well as apply fertilizer. It can handle pellets that are as large as those of rock salt.
The unit’s lever positioned just under the hopper lets you customize the direction, flow, and volume of your lawn care products according to your needs. You can access it easily using either your left or right hand.
The best seed spreader’s cross-on shoulder straps provide a snug fit for small or big chests. They spread the hopper’s weight evenly on your body, and their comfy padding gives you the comfort you need to carry it around the project site.
- Utilizes Scott’s patented EdgeGuard Technology
- Has a calibrated hopper
- Hopper has a generous capacity for small yards
- Handle folds for easy storage
- Handle fitted with soft rubber grips
Scotts’ mini broadcast spreader utilizes EdgeGuard Technology, a patented system that keeps off lawn care fertilizer, ice melt, seeds, and any other product from your driveway or landscaping.
Therefore, you will not need to deal with the mess of having to clear lawn care products from your landscaping, walkway, or driveway each time you fertilize or seed your lawn.
Just like its siblings, Scotts’ engineers designed the mini broadcast best garden lawn spreader from a premium grade material to outlast its rivals. Its plastic hopper neither corrodes nor rusts. This best garden fertilizer spreader has excellent resistance to the harsh chemicals found in lawn care products.
- Use the Scotts Turf Builder EdgeGuard Mini Broadcast Spreader to apply Scotts lawn care products
- Comes pre-calibrated and fully assembled with a fold-down handle for easy storage
- Scotts exclusive EdgeGuard Technology keeps lawn product off landscaping, driveways, and sidewalks
- Features redesigned hopper and agitator for smoother product funneling and consistent coverage
- Holds up to 5,000 sq. ft. of Scotts lawn product, including grass seed and fertilizer - ideal for treating smaller areas
Its metallic frame can accommodate the weight of loaded hopper comfortably. The frame’s black finish safeguards it against rust and any other corrosion that could result from regular exposure to weather elements and harsh chemicals.
Ergonomic wise, Scotts mini broadcast spreader features a rubberized handle that keeps your palm comfortable. You can fold the handles for easy storage and or transportation. The unit’s controls located on the hopper, just below the handle, give you the convenience you need to spread your lawn care product with precision.
While it appears small, the hopper can hold enough material to cover an area with 5,000 square feet. The capacity is sufficient enough to fertilize, apply ice melt, or spread herbicide on small to medium size lawns.
This best fertilizer spreader for lawns equipped with two plastic wheels to let you maneuver through your lawn smoothly. While the wheels are sturdy enough, some property owners who have used this spreader that the wheels don’t provide reliable maneuverability on the lawn with loose soil.
- Highly portable
- Comes fully assembled
- Spreads products uniformly
- Equipped with an adjustable arm support
Do not let your constrained budget to keep you away from maintaining your lawn as required. Instead, get Scotts’ whirl hand-powered spreader to simplify your fertilizing, weeding, ice melting, and or planting lawn care projects. It is one of the most affordable yet reliable garden seeders that you would find.
It is designed from the all-plastic frame to save your hands from the excess weight that could strain your hands. Despite the lightweight, the plastic construction is robust enough to survive regular use for a long time, as well as endure corrosion from lawn care products for a reasonable period.
The portable best grass seeder spreader features adjustable arm support to keep you comfortable while using the garden spreader. A trigger located on the unit’s handle gives the convenience you need to regulate the flow and volume of your material.
- Perfect handheld spreader for small yards
- Great for year-round use to weed, seed, fertilize, and apply ice melt
- Engineered for smooth, even coverage
- Adjustable arm support helps provide maximum comfort
- Holds up to 1,500 sq ft of Scotts lawn products
Despite its small size, it carries enough lawn care material to cover an average area of 1500 square feet. With this generous hopper capacity, you can cover small residential lawns with just a few refills.
Different from the portable garden spreaders that come as separate parts, this hand-held model from Scotts comes fully assembled. You will not have to readthrough product assembly guides, or fumble with complicated assembly processes.
This best portable garden spreader requires little efforts or no maintenance. You will not have to deal with the menace of greasing moving parts, replacing broken handles, and any other issue associated with the use of wheeled garden seeders/spreaders.
While Scotts Whirl best fertilizer spreaders for lawns seems like an ideal fit for property owners on a limited budget, you might not use it to fertilize medium or large size lawns. In fact, it might fatigue you even when using it to maintain small size lawns.
Take away- Quick Tips to help you Purchase the Best Garden Seed Spreader
Clearly, the market offers an array of best garden lawn spreader. Since each one is designed to fit the unique needs of different landscapers or property owners, picking an appropriate unit for your needs can be puzzling. If you are facing that shopping challenge, here are tips to help you make a dependable decision for best grass seeder spreader.
- Shop around for one built from a sturdy material
In most cases, you will subject your garden seeder/spreader to harsh weather elements like rain, direct sunlight, and snow. Moreover, your unit’s hopper will handle lawn care elements with harsh chemicals. If you want a seeder or spreader that can serve you for decades, shop around for one with a robust frame and corrosion-resistant hopper.
- Get a seeder/spreader with the right scale of operation
The tool market has seeders/spreader for each lawn size. If you have a large lawn, get a tow wheeled seeder with a large hopper capacity. The large hopper size lets you work more and spend less time refilling. If you have small to medium size garden, shop around for a push-behind, chest on, or handheld seeder/spreader.
- Shop within your budget limit
Different brands of garden seeders/spreaders come with different price tags, ideal for low budget buyers and high-end buyers. You can hardly lack a seeder that falls within your budget. Nonetheless, you should try to avoid too cheap units since they might not withstand the test of time.
- Get a unit that can maneuver smoothly within your lawn
If you have a tightly landscaped lawn where you cannot maneuver with wheeled seeders, we suggest that you get a chest on or a hand-held garden spreader or seeder. The portable unit will give you the freedom you need to maneuver through those tight spaces. Wheeled seeders are ideal for maintaining medium or large lawns.