Last Updated on March 19, 2022 by woodcutter
A best value wood router is one of the most essential tools you get for your workshop. A router helps you make holes through wood as well as trim them to a perfect size. In a layman’s words, the router is a simple small machine with a motor that’s joined to a shaft for holding the wood. Many carpenters across the world rely on the best wood router because they make the work easy. Moreover, the router comes in handy when making a complicated design.
Some of the best wood router for woodworking
- Single button switches from conventional plunge to fixed-base router with rack and pinion mode
- Single wrench bit change through base is achieved with automatic spindle lock
- Micro winder enables continuous fine depth adjustment through the full plunge mode
- Soft start and variable speed provides the perfect speed for all cutter types
TRITON TRA001 is a moderately priced wooden router that is characterized by quality. It is now available in the market. This model is equipped with advanced technology like a micro winder and vent system, making it suitable for use in all weather conditions.
The rubberized handle significantly absorbs sweat and retains friction between your hand and the grips on summertime, so you don’t have to worry about sweaty hands causing you to slip. This router has twist and turn handles to control the peak, unlike other models where there are levers or knobs for height adjustment.
To achieve the desired depth, you must use a micro winder. This kit comes with a guide with precise calibrations, as well as a fixed and plunge base. You can easily change the router’s base by pressing a single button.
Routing can create a lot of dust, which can clog your tools or get into your lungs if you breathe it in. In order to eliminate this risk, a vent system is installed. These vents are placed on the sides of the machine and collect the debris and waste.
The dust collets can be removed steadily with only a single wrench, thanks to the plunge base. There is also a fence system that guides you when working with different shapes, especially circles.
There are three markings for readily adjusting depth, along with a micro winder for height and depth control, making delicate work a breeze.
This powerful 3.25 HP motor provides an optimal speed of 8,000-21,000rpm for quick, efficient installation. The soft-start feature ensures safe use in the home and workplace. The switch is neon and sealed in a protective layer, making it visible even in sunlight.
- Variable speed control dial (10,000 - 30,000 RPM) enables user to match the speed to the application
- Smooth rack-and-pinion fine depth adjustment system for more precise settings
- Slim and ergonomically designed body for increased comfort and control
- Quick release cam lock system for easy depth adjustments and base removal/installation
- Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load. Fits compact routers models RT0700C and RT0701C
- Powerful 1 to 1/4 HP (maximum) Motor Delivers Improved Performance
The Makita RT0701CX7 is a very versatile package – it includes a fixed base, a plunge routers base, and an edge guide, giving you a lot of value for your money.
This product has received positive reviews from Amazon buyers, garnering 4.6 out of 5 stars all-in-all. This product comes in a kit that includes an edge guide, a plunge base, and an adjustable base for attaching the edge guide for wood work.
The Wood Router is also easy to maneuvers and has a variable speed control dial of 10,000 to 30,000 RPM. The product is also double-insulated which means that it is really safe to use.
The Makita woodworking router has the same power as the DeWALT at 1-1/4 HP and 7.0 amps. and fantastic features like soft start, fine depth adjustment, and electronic motor feedback.
The features are designed for ease of use, such as the rack and pinion for depth adjustment, easy-to-read scales, and a quick clamp system for moving the motor housing between bases.
All in all, the Makita RT0701CX7 package is quite likable, except for maybe the 1-year warranty. But even then, Makita has a good reputation for performance and quality.
If you’re looking for a palm router, you’re unlikely to be disappointed with this tool.
- VERSATILE: kit can be used for a broad range of applications, including precise bit plunging, edge forming, slot cutting, laminate trimming and dovetail cutting, making it one of the most widely used routers for wood working
- DURABILITY: aluminum construction makes this one of our most durable wood routers yet with wooden handles on a fixed base and a soft grip handle on a plunge base
- EASE OF USE: rounded hardwood handles maximize user control; microfine bit-depth adjustment
- CONVENIENT: with the built-in constant response circuitry, our 1617EVSPK wood router will maintain a constant speed throughout the cut, so you get cleaner, more accurate results
- 12 AMP MOTOR AND ADJUSTABLE SPEED DIAL: user can set the optimal speed (8,000-25,000 RPM) for more or less power
- INCLUDES: plunge base, fixed base, 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch collet chucks, shaft wrench, collet nut wrench, chip shields and carrying case
This product is considered as one of the best small router by Amazon reviews. It has a variable speed of 15,000 to 35,000 rpm which is quite fast. The product is relatively light in weight at 11.8 pounds. This product also has aluminum construction which is good for durability and its depth adjustment mechanism, finger support, and soft grip adds to convenience and comfort when doing wood work construction. It also features the Constant Response Circuitry which is used to maintain speed and is compatible enough to handle edge trimming, slot cutting, window cut outs, plank trimmings, and decorative inlays.
- Hitachi Power Tools has renamed to Metabo HPT. Same great tools, with only a new name.
- 11 Amp motor (2-1/4 Peak Horsepower), for precise, controlled cuts
- 2-stage motor release clamp, for quick and accurate depth adjustments and base changes
- Nickel plated motor housing, for smooth depth adjustments
- Electronic speed control, maintains constant RPMs even as load varies
- Class leading noise level, only 79.5dB for a quieter workshop
Fixed based router are most suitable for people who are just beginning in wood work because they are used for edge cutting and making designs. It is also light in weight. This fixed base router has a 2-stage motor release clamp for adjustments and base changes. Priced at $121.80, this is a good value for your money. This product also has speed control mechanisms to make smooth cuts with excellent precision. The Hitachi Wood Router has a weight of 7.3 pounds and produces a speed of 8,000 to 24,000 rpm. This is slower compared to the Makita Compact Router but it can easily cut through tough hardwoods.
- Soft-starting, 12 Amp motor of PORTER-CABLE router features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed through the toughest applications
- Variable-speed control feature (10,000 - 23,000 rpm) enables bit speed to be optimized for changing applications
- Release the motor, adjust bit height and clamp the motor from above the router table with model #75301 kit (included). Fixed base only.
- Plunge base features machined brass bushings and steel guide rods for a smooth, free-flowing plunge stroke
- Plunge base offers through-the-column dust collection for efficient dust removal and improved bit and cut-line visibility
- Depth rod with 6-position adjustable turret enables stepped or repeated plunge cuts
- Dual-position switch allows user to cut power while maintaining control of the router
- Overmolded grips for greater comfort in extended use
A plunge router is a type of wood router that has a spring mechanism so that you can maneuver down into the wood while you work on it. This will securely hold the wood in place so that your craft will be accurate. The spring mechanism also allows you to control the depth of wood work.
This Porter-Cable Wood Router has a speed of 21,000 rpm and has an automatic release system to remove wood bits. The best porter cable router has the most horse power in a 15 amp hand tool and is considered as a commercial grade production router. This product is a bit pricy but it is perfect for heavy-duty commercial wood work. It has also received a perfect score in Amazon customer product reviews.
- 2-1/4 HP (maximum motor HP), 12.0 amp electronic variable speed motor of DEWALT router provides the power to rout smoothly through the toughest hardwoods
- DEWALT plunge router features electronic variable speed with full feedback control for constant speed under load from 8,000-24,000 rpm and soft start to reduce start-up torque for enhanced control
- Micro-fine, depth-adjustment ring provides precise depth adjustments in 1/64-inch increments and adjusts vertically for a constant switch/cordset location
- Adjustable, tool-free, steel motor cam lock makes depth adjustment and base changes quick and solid-locking
- Integral, through-the-column dust collection collects 95% of the dust and provides superior bit visibility
- Quick-release motor latches for fast and easy motor pack removal for bit and base changes
- Detachable cordset offers cordset serviceability and removes the need for a -inchshorty-inch cord motor pack
- Precision-machined brass bushings and case-hardened steel guide rods provide a smooth and accurate plunge stroke
This best plunge router has a speed of 8,000 to 24,000 rpm and has a d-handle for easy precision. The d-handle base has fine depth adjustments and provides balance and control. One important feature of this product is the dust control, and as a matter of fact, a vacuum can be inserted to the bottom of the router. The aluminum casing makes it durable to rust and dusts. What sets this product apart from other wood routers is that the motor is interchangeable between all bases. When it is used with the fixed-base mechanism, this product is easy to maneuver because of its size. You must be careful in using it though, since there are many complaints that the magnetic ring that controls speed disintegrates through constant and continuous use.
- Power Tools and Accessories
- Country of manufacture: China
- Manufacturer: Milwaukee
- 3-1/2-horsepower fixed base router; knob-controlled micro-fine depth adjustments to 1/64-inch
- Variable speed (10,000 to 22,000 rpm); soft start; linear depth adjustment system
- Durable, machined aluminum motor housing and base
- Includes router, 2 collet wrenches, T-handle wrench, 2-1/2-inch sub-base, 1/2" collet
- 9-1/4-inches tall; 11.8 pounds; 5-year warranty
This heavy-duty fixed-based router has a variable speed range of 10,000 to 22,000 rpm and has a 15 amp motor. This router is durable because it has an aluminum base and the kit is completed with a strong cable, and it is also easy to use. It has received mixed to positive reviews on Amazon customer product reviews. The usual customer complaints is that this product requires two wrenches when mounted in a table and the wrench holes gets easily filled up with dust.
Always remember that in purchasing a best wood router, you should know your ability in woodcraft first. This is because manufacturers have designed a variety of products depending on a users’ capability. Smaller products are usually good for beginners as they are easy to use, while for expert and experienced users, bigger and aluminum covered wood routers are always a good choice because of it being heavy-duty and durable which makes it last even after many years of constant use.
- Reconditioned Bosch Products have a One-year warranty through the Bosch factory or an authorized service center
- Variable-speed palm-grip router kit; soft-start and quick-lock systems
- 5.7 amp motor with 15,000 - 35,000 rpm; depth adjustment system and finger support pockets
- Aluminum construction and soft-grip
- Includes palm router, drop-forged wrench, collet, fixed base, straight-edge guide, case
While the Bosch PR20EVSK is the smallest router in the bunch, it’s still very capable of doing many of the tasks your typical homeowner could ask it to do. Despite its small size, this router packs a punch and can handle many of the same tasks as its larger counterparts.
This powerful router has a 1 hp, 5.6-amp motor that can reach speeds of up to 35,000 RPM. Luckily, it also includes soft start and variable speed control, making it perfect for a variety of projects.
Since this is a smaller palm router, the collet is unsurprisingly just 1/4 of an inch. It includes a fine adjustment to get the depth just right and an edge guide to ensure precision.
Bosch’s PR20EVSK is a handy little woodworking router that hits all the high notes for important features while keeping the cost down.
Features of best woodworking router for any woodwork
The wood router designs, color of a wood router may not be the features to check out when considering a top wood routers. Of course, most manufacturers add pompous features just to attract the customer into buying their product. But, if you are looking for a best wood router on the market, then your checklist should have the following features.
Whenever you are purchasing a wood router (or any other equipment for that matter, you need to consider the amount of space it occupies. A submarine-sized router might not be the best, and neither can a spoon-sized do. Wood routers come in three sizes- the trim router, mid-size, and full size. The trim router is the smaller, and it creates soft edges and makes finer joints or hinges.
- The mid –size router can be held by hand and has a horsepower that ranges from 1.5 to 2.25 HP.
- The full size is the most powerful, with about 3.0 to 3.25 Horsepower. Thus, you must make sure that you have the right machine.
You need to make a decision on whether you need a fixed base or a plunge based router. The plunge based helps you to make plunge cuts in the wood. It is fast, but a little harder to use especially for neophytes. But, a fixed base router has a broad range of potential cuts and allows you to make precise depths.
Power is the speed that a motor can attain when making a cut. A good router has a power that can cut the hardest wood or plastic materials. No matter the kind of wood you are cutting, the router should work without hitches. A motor that ranges from 1.0Hp to 2.25Hp is worthwhile. Noteworthy, a powerful router means fatter electricity bills, too!
A good wood router speed are variable. You see, you need different speeds to make the perfect cuts. Thus, a router should allow you to have a soft start or a feature that controls the rate of making cuts.
Every good router has a cleaner ergonomic way to handle dust and dirt. This ensures that your machine does not litter around your workshop. The dust collection features also protect your eyes.
Picking the Right Router for Yourself
Finding the Best router for fine woodworking can be a little bewildering, but with this guide, you should not have a problem at all. Before you decide to add that device to your cart, you need to consider its price, size or features. Of course, this is too basic to explain why you should do it. While many buyers consider price as a priority factor, you should go for the best quality as opposed to the cheapest. You see, if you focus on function, you will be able to find the router that best fits your needs. Thus, the size of a router and its base type should always be top of your mind.
Buying a Full-size Best Budget Wood Router
When you have the money, a massive router is quite luring. But, do you really need a full-size best budget router? Well, a big router is essential for doing heavy-duty woodwork. If you are cutting big bits of wood, then a large router is necessary. For instance, if you are profiling large panels or cabinet doors, a best full-size wood router may be required. If your job deals with light woodwork, such a large investment may not be useful.
For example, if all you want to do is create a joint or to complete ordinary tasks, lighter models will come in handy. In fact, a big machine not only strains on your budget and space, but it also increases the maintenance costs. The smaller-sized routers are also lighter enough for hand-use- you don’t need to mount them onto a table. Why purchase such a big machine while the smaller and cheaper can serve the purpose? If there are the best wood router for the money, go for them! However, after your business grows, then you can buy the full-sized machine. If your budget can cover a bigger best value router, though, then you can go for the 3- and 3.25hp router.
Fixed vs. Plunge Base
When you want to purchase the best wood routers, the very first decision you have to make is whether to go for the plunge base or the fixed base router. Like the pipe plunger, the plunge based router exerts pressure to push the tool into the wood. It drills inside the wood. Then, the fixed base router does not give you enough control, and they are best suited for beginners.
Best woodworking router
Manufacturers of Wood routers produce different varieties of wood routers as Plunge Router, Fixed Base Router, Laminate trimmer, and Variable Speed Router, among many other types. In short, there are many varieties that you can choose from. But in general, the wood routers should be versatile and speedy (measured in revolutions per minute) and efficient at wood work. Some of the important factors to consider in buying top router brands are: horsepower, its size, speed, convenience, and cost.
What are best Router Accessories?
Like every sword needs a sheath, so does every router need accessories. In brief of wood router reviews, router accessories are the items that you might need to buy together with the best wood router. These things make the router more efficient.
Clamps: Clamps hold the wood in position to ensure it does not move when making a precise cut. The clump also holds the wood onto the table to avoid errors.
Router Table: A router table is a raised platform that allows you to set the router and its accessories.
Jigs: Cutting joints and hinge recesses require you to hold wood firmly. Jigs help you do this.
Router Fences: A router fence is a boundary beyond which your cut should not exceed. In short, a router fence guides your cuts. It ensures that the wood does not shift, thus helping you to make precise cuts.
What does a Wood Router Do?
No doubt, any serious woodworker must have the best wood router. The fact that the tool is handy for the ‘Do It Yourself’ tasks and arts make it valuable. When making well-designed furniture, it is inevitable to use a router. Now, the functions of a wood router depend on the type you are using. Noteworthy, the plunge based router can do more than the fixed based. In brief, best wood router can do any woodwork.
With a wood router, you can make a dado for bookcases, wardrobes, or cabinets. A dado is a groove made into wood surfaces, to articulate the edge of another piece. With a little patience, you can make this hollow space quickly.
Making wood route templates
A template is a piece of timber that guides woodworkers to make designs and patterns. These templates not only demonstrate the skills of a woodworker but also act as the road map for making a design. A wood router is a handy tool for creating route templates.
Making inlay recesses
Although making inlay recesses is tough, a wood router makes it an easy thing. All you need is have the template, and the router will help you maintain precision. The recesses are essential in decorating the piece of furniture or in patching up cracks.
You must have wondered how to make calligraphic letters on wood. But, you don’t have to anymore- you do lettering with the wood routers! The plunge base router does this with precision because you can adjust micro depths.
Since the beginning of civilization, woodworkers have relied on mortises and tenons to join wood without using nails. While the chisel is the most popular tool for this purpose, the plunge base router is easier and more efficient.
Creating round pieces and patterns
One of the essential functions of a wood router is to make circular designs. If you want to make an ace-shaped cut, the router comes in handy. The router also helps in making round corners. This means you don’t need a saw!
Making key holes
A best wood routers helps you to create keyholes for doors, cabinets, and boxes. The fact that a plunge base wood router can create holes in the surface of wood makes it ideal for routing out key holes.
Importance of a best wood router for woodworking
Why do you need a wood router in your workshop? If you are wondering why you should purchase a router over other tools, this part of the best wood router reviews will guide you. Now, here are the reasons why you should choose a wood router over other tools.
It has diverse uses
With a wood router, you don’t have a limit when it comes to making designs and patterns. This tool lets you make all kind of furniture, from desks, cabinets, and beds to shelves and tables.
It is professional
When using a wood router, you can work in a professional manner. In fact, the router has so many professional uses that it requires you to have the right skills. It encourages you to learn and acquire woodworking skills for using each bit.
It is versatile
The plunge based wood router is versatile and can cut multiple designs without any hitch. The router cuts mortise, circles, curves and straight edges.
It offers quality furniture
If you want a tool that can make straight shapes as well as smooth circular designs, think about the wood router!
It produces durable furniture
Anytime you want an instrument for creating tough joints, then a router is what you need! Not only is the router strong itself, but also, it makes durable edges, joints, and mortises.
It is efficient
If you are a woodworker, a router will not only help you complete your jobs faster, but also help you give them a perfect tough. With a router, you can make precise cuts, which means you save on wood too.
What is the difference between a router and a plunge router?
Which is the best router for woodworking, a plunge router or a fixed based router? Let’s find out!
First, let’s explain everyone to understands the difference between the two.
A fixed base router has a fixed base, which is set manually before use, rather than one you move up and down into the wood. This means that the depth of the bit is constant.
If you set your router to a depth of 1/4″, the bit will protrude past the base until you change the depth. In other words, you can control how deep your cuts are by adjusting the router depth.
Fixed base routers are also more user-friendly for beginners, as you don’t have to worry about manually adjusting much. After you set the router in its desired location, it will be physically locked in place and completely set.
A plunge router is designed for making cuts in the middle of a piece of material, away from the edges. Plunge routers excel at this task, thanks to their ability to lower the bit from a height while the base remains flat on the material.
A plunge base router is designed for making precise cuts by setting the desired depth and then lowering the bit into the material.
The plunge router can be a bit complex at first, but once you get used to it, it will be incredibly easy to use. Plunge routers have two arms on them, one on each side of the router. This allows you to manually plunge into the wood to begin cutting the material, hence the name “plunge” router.
The best router for you depends on your woodworking needs and experience. If you’re looking for a router that can easily cut wood and can be used by people new to woodworking, then you might want to check out the fixed base router.
Which one are you going to buy?